Thursday, November 29, 2007

Abstract #1

Well, count on my own words to make a liar out of me. Here I am, saying in my last post that "most of my dreams do seem to err on the side of realism and the linear narrative format", and now I'm dreaming in the abstract. I swear, sometimes I think my mind is just trying to make me out as a massive tool. Anyways, my dream last night seemed to consist mostly of a series of images with a snide commentary presented overtop of them, either delivered by or to me (my own subjectivity in this dream was fairly unclear). There did seem to be some kind of overlying structure to the dream, but a fairly vague one. It seemed as though there was an argument or battle of wits taking place in either a library or bookstore. In retrospect, I don't think it matters which one it was, just so long as it serviced as a source of images for debate. Anyways, two indistinct figures or voices (either both me or neither of them me, I was and am unclear) jokingly debated pop-culture back and forth at each other. In essence, I dreamed The Internet, or an episode of "Robot Chicken".

Anyways, the whole thing was pretty strange. Most of the images debated just blended together in my memory, but a couple stand out. In one instance, Voice number one presents Iron Man for debate, to which Voice number two responds: "Iron Man? He's just a cheap Batman with wings!" And indeed, the Iron Man presented did indeed sport a pair of angelic wings (Note to those not up on the comics lore: Iron Man CAN fly, but does not have wings). In the other memorable part of the dream, the two Voices have either presented or transformed themselves into manifestations of "The Chief" from Inspector Gadget, one wearing all black and one wearing all white, which I immediately recognized as being from "Spy vs. Spy". The cavorted around the book depository trying to drop old fashioned "fuse bombs" into the garbage cans they continually popped out of (as they did in the TV show). Clearly this symbolizes something or other, but I can't really say that I care what. This dream was ridiculous. I'm sorry, Internet. Next time I'll try to dream better.

2 comments:

Leo said...

As your only reader, I am obliged to pick the nit out of you. You're getting docked a half point for, "either delivered by to to me".
Then I was gonna give you a a fairly good score for dreaming abstractly, but I was really let down by all the pop culture shit. The collage of images dream has more potential. You can do better.
2/5 (including half mark deduction)

Sam said...

I think that this review just shows your anti-postmodern bias. You just have no stomach for referential reontextualization.

Also, that typographical error isn't there. It Was Never There. There Was Never Any Typo. Also, we've always been at war with Eurasia, and Napoleon is always right.