Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Wasps' Nest

I had something of a more abstract dream last night, though it was still fairly concrete, as dreams go. Most of my dreams do seem to err on the side of realism and the linear narrative format. Also, I'm not sure whether or not people in my life would appreciate being singled out by name in my dreams, so i'm going to try to avoid doing that wherever possible. Anyways, on with the summary:

Anyways, The dream begins with me at my two-shift a week kitchen job, washing dishes. As I go about my tasks, I notice first one, then two, then several wasps flying around my working area. At no point do these wasps ever move so sting me or anyone I'm working with (the people I'm working with are also all acting slightly out of character in this dream, in that they engage in none of their customary banter which usually makes the work day so pleasant). Rather, the wasps merely hover around me and mine, steadily building in number until there's a good 30 or so flying around the kitchen, being studiously ignored by myself and the cook. Anyways, cook finally sends me downstairs to get some sauce. As soon as I open the door to the basement, I walk into an utter swarm of wasps, circling the downstairs area like they were caught in a funnel. I have to walk directly through the swarm to reach the sauce, so that's what I do. As I'm doing this, the swarm moves somewhat aside to give me passage, but it still feels as though I'm walking through a living, fuzzy wall, and I occasionally have to spit just to get wasps out of my mouth. As I'm retrieving the sauce, I'm aware of the possibility of being stung, but not really afraid of it, because I just know that if I stay focused on my work and don't call attention to my own awareness of the wasps, they'll leave me alone. Anyways, I climb back up the stairs through the swarm with the sauce and close the door behind me, except I take some of the wasps with me. They have landed on my hands and arms, but are quite content to watch me work, rather than commence stinging. For the rest of my work shift, I am compelled to do my job in a room full of wasps (the wasps that followed me out of the basement have made the kitchen area fairly crawl with the things) with several attached to my arms and hands. At no point during this dream, however, am I stung.

2 comments:

Leo said...

The basement is the subconscious, typically something that's being repressed. (Whereas the attic is sometimes the higher, unrealized version of the subconscious.) It sounds like there's something you're ignoring that is only growing worse and ignoring it won't make it go away. Wasps and the work setting suggest to me that it's work you're ignoring, like I'm doing right now.

Good imagery, tension. I liked the use of the basement, but I felt it was anticlimactic. 3/5.

Sam said...

In the interests of full disclosure, I should probably mention that I had recently read "The Shining", which makes good use of the image of the wasps' nest itself.