Friday, December 28, 2007

A Twofer

Well, here it is almost one month since my last post. As I said earlier, in the event of a "dream dearth", I would be posting "best ofs" from previous dreams. Anyways, I think that one month counts as a lapse significant enough to warrant "dearth" status, and thus was ready to post an old favorite after my Holiday break, when lo and behold, I have two memorable dreams in rapid succession! Credit it to all the sugar plums, I guess. Not that they were particularly good dreams, or high quality dreams, but they were memorable, and that's what counts! So, in the order I dreamed them:

1. An Archetype The classic, middle-of-the-Holidays "Oh Shit! I Forgot to Turn in my (insert course here) Paper!" I have this dream a lot, though it mostly happens at the end of the year and involves the final exams in courses I considered signing up for, but didn't. In this case, it was about having forgotten to turn in a French Lit. paper (a course I'm not taking) to Professor Lennox (A professor I DO have, in Canadian Life Writing). Interestingly enough, in my dream the paper was not yet late, but due on Friday, meaning that if I scrambled like mad, I would JUST be able to turn in a sub-par paper, though I would miss Boxing Day with my cousins. In any case, a fairly humdrum dream.

2. U of Hospital A somewhat more interesting dream I had last night. I'm in my high school, but for the purposes of my dream it's also my university. It's populated by a variety of faces from both those locales. Anyways, because of a mysterious illness (which doesn't seem to have any effects), we're all quarantined inside the building. It's nothing serious, but we all have to remain inside, and nurses will be coming with pills for us. Anyways, nurses show up carrying pills on refreshment trays, and the whole thing has a very "dinner party" type atmosphere; there's no instructions for how to take the pills (those gel-coated ones with the tiny medicine spheres in 'em), so the nurses just circulate around handing them out like candy as people in little groups discuss dinner-party topics like the environment, literary criticism, etc. Anyways, I'm having a fine time chatting and swallowing pills, until I overhear one guest talking with a nurse, and the nurse says that, "one of the main effects is that people seem to have difficulty swallowing". As I hear this, I try to pop another pill, but I gag it back up. Fortunately, no one notices this, but I begin to worry about what a faux pas it would be if I were the only one at the party not popping pills. With this in mind, I unscrew the top of my capsule from the bottom and start eating the horrible-tasting little medicine spheres individually. People, ask about it, and I say that it's just the way I eat pills, but the taste is getting pretty awful, enough so that I am forced to bolt out of a conversation mid-way to try to find a drinking fountain to wash the taste out of my mouth. The dream ends with me arriving at the fountain.

Well, there we are. Hope that these'll tide us all over!

1 comment:

Leo said...

I had the unfinished assignment dream, also with a prof I do have giving a course I don't, but in my case there was a special twist - I had to drive to Yerk in a tiny car to hand in the paper.